5 Steps to a Happier Life
Many people have a negative outlook on life, finding themselves unhappy. Life is short. Don’t waste it being unhappy and follow these five easy steps for a happier life!
“Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.” — Marcus Aurelius
1. Stop caring what people think
Don’t allow yourself to be manipulated emotionally. Surround yourself with people that appreciate you. Exclude toxic people from your life. I’ve found far too many people bend over backwards for others at their own expense. It’s time you start doing things for you. And if people are offended, who cares? One day when you look back on your life, you want to say you’re glad you lived your life for you.
Tips on how to stop caring what other people think:
- Focus on what makes you happy and brings you joy (people, hobby, activity, etc.)
- Stop being a people pleaser, you can’t please everyone!
- Be unapologetic
- Stay true to yourself
2. Do something out of your comfort zone
Do things out of your comfort zone. I know, this isn’t fun and can be extremely hard to start. However, doing new things will further your experiences in life and allow new possibilities. Start with the small things and built upon that.
Ways to start small:
- Talk to a stranger. You will be surprised how many people are willing to talk to you! Who knows, maybe they will become an important person in your life.
- Turn off your phone for the day. Better yet, no electronics for a day!
- Try a new food. Change it up! Go to a place you have never been before, order something you haven’t had.
3. Be more self aware
Before you know what makes you happy, you need to know yourself. In this always-connected age, we rarely have time to just sit and think. We’re rushed from the moment we wake up until the moment we hit the pillow. Emails, texts, phone calls, social media. Even while falling asleep, your mind is racing, thinking about the next day.
Ways to help become more self aware:
- Stop, pause, and reflect. What do you really want, think, feel, etc.
- Find a quiet spot to self reflect
- Meditate. Let your mind rest. There are several apps you can download to help your mediation. One app is called Calm, give it a try! Check out more about the Calm app here
4. Continue to Learn
Learning affects our wellbeing in lots of positive ways. It exposes us to new ideas and helps us stay curious and engaged. It also gives us a sense of accomplishment and helps boost our self-confidence and resilience. There are many ways to learn new things throughout our lives, not just through formal qualifications.
Different ways to continue to learn:
- Share or learn a new skill (a sport, a recipe, a technique, etc.)
- Join a new club or organization
- READ! Here is a list of the most popular books in 2019.
- Listen to people. People have a lot of stories with their interactions in the world, learn from their experiences, mistakes, failures, and successes.
5. Connect with People
Our relationships with other people are the most important thing for our happiness. People need interactions with others to maintain a healthy, happy life. People with strong relationships are happier, healthier and live longer. Close relationships with your loved ones, usually friends and family, provide love, meaning, and support to increase our feelings of belonging and self-worth. Our larger social relationships and interactions bring a sense of knowledge and affiliation in the world. Therefore, it is vital we take action to strengthen our relationships and make new connections.
If you are struggling to have a healthy relationship, talk to a professional on ways to improve your relationship. Each relationship is different, therefore, each person has different things they need to do in order to build a healthy relationship.
If you are feeling down or need to talk to someone, here is an excellent resource for you!